Health Benefits of Iodine: Accelerates Weight Loss by Supporting the Thyroid Gland
Iodine is one of those essential trace elements that the body needs to grow and develop properly. About two-thirds of all the iodine in your body is stored in your thyroid gland. As such the health benefits of iodine are centred around the thyroid gland.
What Is the Recommended Daily Amount of Iodine ? (1)
What Are the Sources of Iodine? (2)
Iodine deficiency can lead to a number of problems including frustration, depression, weight gain, reduced fertility, coarse skin, constipation and fatigue. According to the World Health Organisation, a deficiency of iodine is the most common cause of mental retardation. So you can see how important it is. The good news is that an iodine deficiency of that level is pretty rare in North America as most iodine comes from soil and salt.
- Iodine is a powerful metabolic rate booster. It does this by stimulating the production of hormones in the thyroid. These hormones are then used to control the metabolic rate. Having a good metabolic rate is important for staying healthy, losing weight, and sleeping properly. As such iodine is also a great natural pick me up and helps your body effectively use the energy from calories so they aren’t turned into fat. It helps you burn off the fat you already have and stops your body from making more.
- Iodine plays an important role in fertility. It’s an essential part of growing reproductive organs properly. Getting enough iodine can also reduce the chances of stillbirth in pregnant women and ensure they have a happy and healthy baby. When a pregnant woman has an iodine deficiency it can be terrible for her unborn baby. Many women do not realise that they also need iodine for their baby and that they need to be taking more. Some pregnant women actually lose more iodine than they gain in a day. So don’t neglect it!
- Hypothyroidism is a condition caused by an under-active thyroid and is when your whole body in general seems to just slow down. Hypothyroidism can cause huge weight gains because the body just isn’t burning off the calories anymore. There are a number of reasons you might develop hypothyroidism but it’s still a good idea to take iodine supplements because they can help you lose weight and stay healthy.
- Speaking of staying healthy; iodine works wonders on your immune system. Iodine alone is a powerful agent for tackling free hydroxyl radicals. Much like vitamin C it also stimulates the production and activity of antioxidants. These antioxidants keep your body free of disease and inflammation and can help you lose weight.
- Lastly, iodine can help fight conditions such as fibrosis, turgidity, and breast tenderness. It does this by providing relief from fibrocystic disease and is commonly used in both alternative and modern medicinal therapies for the condition. Studies have shown that there is a link between molecular iodine and fibrocystic breast disease. Iodine definitely seems to be a mineral for the women!