Health Benefits of Potassium: Protect Your Heart
Potassium is an essential mineral to benefit the human body. It’s commonly known that low levels of potassium can occur in the body after working out, being in the sun for too long, or when suffering from diarrhea. It’s important to learn how to recover from a potassium loss and to learn about the health benefits of potassium so you can have a healthy functioning body.
What Are the Sources of Potassium? (1)
Avocado may be the best source of potassium, but since some people have allergies, potassium can be found in other foods too. Other foods to eat include vegetables such as dark leafy greens, squash, mushrooms, and kidney beans. Potatoes also have a high source of potassium and are easy to find at any store. Potassium is also present in bananas, lentils, papaya, asparagus, yogurt and fish. People can also buy potassium supplements that are often dissolvable in water, for faster absorption.
What Are Common Potassium Deficiency Symptoms?
Low potassium levels can make a person feel quite ill, and they can occur rapidly. Low potassium levels are called hypokalemia. Watch for symptoms of severe muscle fatigue, and difficulty walking.
You may also generally feel weak and experience muscle cramps . Potassium deficiency can lead to constipation, bloating, tingling or numbness. If it’s due to dehydration, you may also feel nauseous and confused. You’ll need to replenish your potassium levels quickly, but the good news is that you’ll immediately feel better.
What Are the Health Benefits of Potassium?
- Potassium is often prescribed to people who have a predisposition to heart disease or high blood pressure. It can also be used to treat stroke and regulate irregular heart beats. It’s something that’s often given through IV (Intravenous therapy) at the hospital for people who are admitted with heart issues or who have had heart attacks. Potassium plays a key role in keeping the heart beating at a normal rhythm.
- Potassium is one of the more important minerals for the body. It’s also considered an electrolyte, a substance that contains a charge in your body and is essential for life. Taking potassium can help to prevent an imbalance and also be used to treat certain diseases.
- Potassium has an essential role in the human body. It can aid in the transmission of nerve signals, which is the electricity of the human body.
- It’s also helpful for people who are dehydrated, and can regulate fluid balance in the body. It’s also essential for a variety of different chemical reactions.
- People who suffer from the ear balance condition called Meniéres may also find it beneficial. Potassium can prevent thallium poisoning and Insulin resistance in diabetics.
- People who suffer from digestive disturbances may also find it beneficial. It can be used to treat colitis, and constipation.
- It’s beneficial for treating cognitive dysfunctions such as mental confusion. It’s good for people who suffer from insomnia or irritability. It’s also beneficial as part of the supplements that are given to Alzheimer’s patients.