Health Benefits of Silicon: The Secret to Better Bones, Nails, Skin and Hair
Silicon, also known as silica and not to be confused with silicone (the thing breast implants are made from) is perhaps the most understood of the trace elements. At least as far as the influence it has on your bone health goes. As with every essential trace mineral there are several health benefits of silicon. Here’s more about them.
What Is the Recommended Daily Amount of Silicon ? (1)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not established
a recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for silicon. (2)
The only source of silica intake should be from food.
– Western populations ranges from 20 to 50 milligrams daily
– Research has shown that the mean daily intake of silicon is
30-33 milligrams in men and
24-25 milligrams in women
– For osteoporosis: dietary intakes of 40 mg
– For dementia (Alzheimer’s disease), 10 milligrams has been taken by mouth daily.
– For brittle nail syndrome, 10 milligrams has been taken by mouth daily.
Children (under 18 years old)
– There is no proven safe or effective dose for silicon in children.
- The USDA does not give any values for either recommended daily intake nor for tolerable upper limit of silica and suggests that there is not enough data about safety of supplements and that dietary intake should be adequate. (3)
What happens if I take too much silicon? (4)
There is not enough evidence to know what the effects might be of taking high doses of silicon supplements each day.
Given that most of the health benefits of silicon have to do with bone health it’s only natural that the deficiency symptoms involve joint pain and weak bones. Conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis can be caused by a silicon deficiency. Silicon deficiency can also cause thin hair, digestive system disorders, brittle nails, and wrinkles.
- Something unique about silicon is that it’s most effective when taken very young. Silicon has been shown to play a role in how the bones develop and form. It helps begin the brown growing process and is replaced over time by calcium. Silicon is able to correct issues related to the development of bones such as weak joints and defective bone growth.
- Adults still receive plenty of health benefits from silicon. It’s been shown to prevent osteoporosis and encourage bone growth while discouraging bone loss. It also improves the mineral density of your bones to effectively toughen them up. It’s especially effective at increasing the bone density of the femur in women.
- Silicon can also be used to maintain the youthful appearance of your skin. Silicon stops your skin from becoming flabby and gives it back its natural glow. It can help to prevent several skin disorders and, as an added bonus, gives your eyes some brightness for good measure.
- Silicon is a key part of the recovery process when you’re fighting off diseases and viruses that attack the mucous membranes. As such taking silicon supplements can help you recover faster from these diseases. It’s also great for recovering from a fractured bone.
- Silicon can be used to prevent alopecia, the technical name for thinning hair. Hair becomes thin when you don’t get enough nutrients and silicon is a major nutrient for hair health. Silicon encourages your hair to grow thick and healthy. It also gives your hair a natural lustre.
- Because your nails are a kind of bone any bone strengthening supplement like silicon can keep them healthy. Silicon strengthens your nails and stops them from becoming brittle to give you strong and attractive nails.
- Finally, silicon plays an important role in preventing aluminium toxicity. Aluminium can be dangerous to your health; both physical and mental. Silicon bonds with aluminium and prevents it being absorbed during the digestion process. Stopping the build-up of aluminium stops aluminium toxicity in its tracks.
Acide Orthosilicique, Atomic number 14, Dioxyde de Silicium, Numéro Atomique 14, Orthosilicic Acid, Phytolithic Silica, Polysilicone-11, Si, Silica, Silica Hydride, Silice Hydride, Silicea, Silicio, Silicium, Silicium de Sodium, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Silicate. (7)